It’s not too late to give yourself a little incentive to write this month! Any Good Thing is sponsoring a bet-on-yourself Writing Challenge this month, and today’s the last day to join. The rules are simple:
- You commit to writing at least 400 words each day for five days of the week, Sunday through Saturday. That’s 2000 words per week or 8000 words–an academic article, 16 blog posts, 8 book reviews, a chapter in a novel…whatever you are aiming for–in 4 weeks.
- Email me at email@example.com to let me know you are participating. Include this participation-form
- You send me a check for $20 to cover one month of participation or pay via Facebook Payment if we are FB friends. I don’t cash your check…yet.
- Each day that you write, you email what you wrote to firstname.lastname@example.org. (No, I’m not going to read it, but, yes, I’m going to make sure it’s new words each day.)
- If you write 400 words for 5 days a week for 4 weeks, you get all your money back. (Plus maybe more.) That’s $1 per day of writing.
- If you write for 19 days of the 20, you get $17 back. If you write for 18 days, you get $14 back. If you write for 17 days, you get $11 back. If you write for fewer than 17 days, though, you surrender the full $20.
- Any funds surrendered for not writing the full 20 days go into a kitty that is divided between all those who wrote each of the 20 days MINUS $5 that will be awarded as a gift card to one 20-day-writer whose name is drawn at random.
This is a free exercise, so there’s no cost to participate (unless, of course, you don’t meet your goals), and all the money pooled goes back to participants.
The first challenge runs from January 8th to February 4; please email me ASAP with your participation form, and I’ll send you an address for the check then. We’ll start a second session on February 5th. If, as part of this, we also have a secret FB group set up, as well as accountability partners for daily or weekly check-ins. Both are optional but are available to you to use as you like.